Monday, February 22, 2016

Saturday Night Chili Cook-off

  My friends enjoy cooking, and we all love to eat great food. This past weekend, we got together for a chili cook-off. I may not be the best cook, but I do make a mouthwatering chili. On the day of the cook-off, I added my secret ingredients and mixed them together to be judged against my peers.

A few of us had a wonderful time bragging about their recipes. By the time the food was ready to be tasted, I had a feeling that I knew who was going to win by their confident boasting. I just wanted to try the different spicy chili. I brought a bottle of my favorite red wine to clean the palate and enhance the flavor of the meat. When I walked through the door, I could smell the spicy aroma of the different recipes. Seven crock pots full of chili lined the dining room. There were many great, spicy favored chili including one chicken recipe and a smoked beef brisket recipe, and the remaining crock pots contained beef.

The hosts did an amazing job setting up and running with the theme including decorating their home with chili pepper lights. The hostess provided cheese, sour cream and other ingredients that foodies add to chili. There was an easy to read score card for the judges. For casting the votes, the ballot box or ballot pot was used. The hosts were organized and everyone was able to try all seven chili recipes.

At the awards ceremony, the beef brisket was the winner. In the end, my chili didn't place. Everyone had a wonderful experience and a stomach full of delicious chili. The whole night brought out the creative side of our cooking. While leaving, there was talk of a second annual chili cook-off, so I have a year to perfect my chili. Meanwhile, I could try my luck in a local cook-off.


Photos by April Kooy Riley. For more information, email: theakwrites@gmail.com or see the website: aprilkooyriley.webs.com. Thank you Dan and Shelli Merrion for hosting and organizing the wonderful cook-off. I'm looking forward to that rematch...maybe next year.

More stories and photos: bloggergirlapril.com and thelatesttoday.blogspot.com/




Consent: AdSense ad code goes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment