Monday, March 14, 2016

Hiking: The Benefits to Consider

When I was in high school, I joined the hiking club for the reason that they were headed to Switzerland. Since I was a child, I dreamed of seeing the Alps and cute little mountain towns. Instead, my parents moved us to Georgia before I had a chance to see Europe. At that time, I never understood the desire to walk around the woods. Hiking up mountains did seem like unnecessary work for a fifteen year old. A few years later I realized how helpful it was to take a walk outside when making serious decisions. I was able to contemplate the positives and the negatives of my crucial decision. During the weeks before my walk, I seemed unable to focus on my problems, and a few hours walking on a beach changed my whole outlook.



After twenty years, I never considered hiking as enjoyable diversion. It wasn’t until I took a job working with severely unhealthy people that I needed time to clear my head and rebuild my mental energy. I started hiking on different trails around Georgia. Soon after I got into backpacking and reading about long distant hiking, but I have a bad shoulder that I wouldn’t allow me to carry more than fifteen pounds on my back. Now, I try to hike every weekend especially when the weather permits. Although I have hiked in the rain, the desert, and the snow, the best time is in the spring when the earth is coming back to life. The trees are blooming and the flowers are ready to be pollenated. I feel renewed when the forest goes from brown to green once again.

Hiking and walking are great ways to keep in shape. It's provides cardio exercise, which is great for your heart. Walking can help people to lose weight along with diet. It also tones and shapes the leg muscles. There is also a spiritual side to hiking. For some people, nature provides the feeling of being closer to God or their own personal religion. A plant growing from a tiny seed is a miracle when it happens. There’s also the mystery in following an unknown path as I unravel the adventure with each step closer to the end of the path.



During times of struggle, try going for a hike or spending time in nature. It’s a great way to help deal the harsh times or tough decisions. When life gets you down, try going for a walk around the block and find out if the helps your perspective on life. Many people hike alone, but if you want to walk with a group, there are many hiking clubs that are looking for members. Try doing a search on the internet or meetup.com. Talk to friends and family, and see if they wouldn’t mind going for a walk. There are usually many different paths in your neighborhood that would make a great place to start.

Hiking is a great way to get exercise, find answers, and become closer to your spiritual side of life. It may brighten your day if you find a waterfall or a bird singing. Try going for a walk by yourself or with someone else to see what works for you.



Photos and content are by April Kooy Riley. Please do not use without permission. For more information, please email theakwrites@gmail.com.

Consent: AdSense ad code goes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment