Friday, April 1, 2016

Vacation packing

When I'm really excited about a getaway, I will start packing months in advance. First, I will make a small pile of clothes that I want to save especially for the trip. As I wash clothes, I’ll see something particular that would be great to wear on a beach or ski vacation, so I put it aside. In the hierarchy of my clothes, clothes for vacation have the best status. Except for when my suitcase gets too full, then I might have to leave something behind at home or the discard bin.

I am not a big shopper, but when I do to the fashion mall, it’s for my next getaway. I am usually looking for the perfect summer dress or a cute winter coat that will spice up my vacation. The trip could be two months away, and I’m planning an impeccable outfit for the day in the mountains or the sexy bikini with all the trimmings for the beach.

On the day before we leave town, I sort through the piles of clothes. By this time, I have piles to fill three suitcases, so I need to go through everything. I keep asking myself, “Will I wear this?” I’ll put on a pair of heels to make sure that they won’t pinch my feet, so they won’t waste precious space in my suitcase. Then I’ll try on all the dresses to make sure they still fit. Hopefully, I didn’t gain any weight since the last time I wore it.

The worse part of packing is the heavy equipment. My camera and computer weigh several pounds, and I can’t put them in a backpack any more. My shoulders can’t take the weight, so my days of backpacking through Europe are over and done. Now, I use a rolling suitcase just for the important stuff. In the end, I have two rolling bags and a purse for a seven day trip. I check the clothes suitcase, and I carry on the heavy equipment to put in the overhead.

My husband has a different approach to vacation packing. On the day before we are to leave, he will do a load of laundry and then throw it into his suitcase. He makes sure he has enough undies and sock, and then he is usually done. He might pick out a dinner jacket and nice pair of pants for an elegant dinner or show. His packing usually takes an hour. There have been times when he wants me to do his packing, but I really don’t know his clothes. I would pick a pair of shorts that hadn’t fit him in two years.

Everyone has their own style of packing. Most people pack the night before they leave town. Hopefully I’m not alone. Maybe there are other planners who also start packing months in advance. Doesn’t planning lead to the best vacation yet? We will see….

  jo pack1

More stories and photos: bloggergirlapril.com and thelatesttoday.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment